care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

1.18.2011

Slightly jaded, a little...

AMERICA!

I have a qualm to pick with you! 
You may have heard this before, even so its time to hear it once again!

there are 
no excuses 
no disguises
ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTIFICATIONS 

America, you are a people of over-indulgence, and it is ridiculous!!! I'm sick of it! Literally, I'm almost sick because of it! Where do I begin? Could it be with food? Or "things?" You tell me. O wait, here ... this is the perfect spot!

The TODAY Show (which I don't care for) got me started on this train of thought afresh recently. As the year began, 2 weeks ago, they had a segment about correcting over-corrections. What? What the hell does that mean? Good question. I asked the same thing.

It means for example, you spent a lot of money to have your teeth whitened only to find they are "too" white. What on earth is your poor soul to do to fix those bleached-whites (not quite the same ring as pearly whites, huh?)?

It means for example, you over-tanned your fake tan during the winter months and you need to know how to fix it! O my, what an awful urgent need! [*Spoiler Alert* sarcasm] Note: If you tan at all in the winter months (with exception to 1 or 2 reasons) then you are not only insecure, superficial, & generally wasteful (with your time & money in this case) but also greatly desirous of skin cancer ... in which case may I add dumb to the list. Sorry! And this is coming from one of the whitest/palest people you'll meet ... accept who you are & grow up! Have I alienated you yet? Sorry, but on I go.

BTW, the solution to these "situations" (I will NOT dare call them "problems") is to basically admit that you wasted you money and either 1) negate the whitening by drinking/eating things that will re-stain you teeth OR 2) spend more money (thus again admitting your wastefulness) buying various products to make the fake tan fade ... however you do that. I wouldn't know, nor do I care to!

Thanks TODAY Show for wasting so many peoples' time.

On another show, it was all about corrective plastic surgery, that is having more plastic surgery to fix mistakes from previous plastic surgeries. Now, I know there are some very legitimate needs for corrective plastic surgery (think: lady who had her face ripped off by gorilla) ... I gladly admit that. But what I will not give an inch on is parents who allow the high-school aged kids get a "bump" in their nose "fixed." Another is that people try to get their "original" face back after having lost it to so many unnecessary surgeries in the first place, to make them look this way or that way! This is the epitome of wastefulness and self-indulgence, needless to say over-indulgence!

Further still, there are some appliance companies who - when a refrigerator is returned because it was dented during delivery or some other superficial issue (nothing affecting its overall usefulness or effectiveness) - deliberately avoid the resale of these products and send them straight to a land fill!!! Can you believe that! It is a perfectly good refrigerator and they are throwing them out because of a dent! How dare you?! I know plenty of people who would love to use a dented refrigerator ... hell I would gladly!

Then there are issues like "grass-fed" beef. Honestly, I have no issue with grass fed beef, its my preference. What gets under my skin is that we have found it acceptable in that USA to accept this as a luxury. IT IS NOT A LUXURY! COWS ARE DESIGNED TO DIGEST GRASS ONLY. THEIR STOMACHS CANNOT PROCESS GRAINS (ie: CORN). Its not a luxury because it is the standard. God made animals a certain way, and man had to go and screw with it all. So we gripe and complain and say, "Eat less red meat, its bad for you!" FALSE. Its only unhealthy because we shove an unnatural food (corn) down their throats for quicker production and then are so shocked that red meat is unhealthy! Yet even so, we excuse it and say "O but I love the taste of that marbled, fatty meat. I guess its okay." This I will call apathy and another facet of indulgence.

Grass fed cattle are not only healthy but lean as well. God's design works! So I am just a little pissed that I have to go to Whole Foods - and even there - qualify that I want "grass fed beef." Its as if I go to the counter and say, "Pardon me sir, could I get three filets, but I want it from cows who are fed the only food they are designed to process - grass. You know, like the ones that for centuries upon centuries were they only "type" of cows used for meat produce. That's the kind of beef I want." If anything, we should have to qualify and state," Pardon me sir, could I get three filets that are full of unnatural fats, meat that is entirely marbled, and full of all sorts of unnatural preservatives and hormones that grass fed cattle don't need to stay healthy. Thats what I want for dinner. It sounds delicious."

Despite that I could go on and on, this will be me last rant.

Smokers.
I love yall, and have plenty of friends who are smokers. I hate your nasty and mindless habit, but that in no way means I hate you. On the contrary, I love you and want to see you healthy and happy - not smoking! I simply think you have significant issues (even with the whole addiction thing). My biggest qualm with smokers, is they are deliberately, not only killing their lungs, but themselves! We frown on suicide and say, "O its so selfish." (I apologize if that sounds insensitive, thats not my goal. I am not trying to say anything about any one who has done so.) True that may be, but is not smoking just a slow, slow means of suicide? Extreme comparison? I don't think so. So, when I meet a smoker who has received a lung transplant and still smokes, can you imagine what that does to me?! Before you think you can, you cannot! Sorry. You just cannot know unless you have been where I have been. Thats not a self-righteous pat on the back, its a simple reality.

So. That was pleasant, huh? I am not mad about all this. Does it work me up and get me excited? Hell yeah it does! Why? because we live in the most well-to-do society that has ever existed and we are killing ourselves with our over-indulgence, with our self-absorption. We are killing ourselves with ourselves. Think about it.

One of my friends stated it well saying we all have a huge sense of entitlement.

Jaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment