care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

12.15.2010

Put In Place

I was put in my place recently. My passion gave way and exposed my pride, and the stark revelation led to a sinking & sickening feeling of, "How many times have people felt this same way?" ... Which in some way might be pride as well.

So, I got to sharing some of my thoughts on Christian missions, which exist because Christ Jesus is not known in all the world - YET! He does not receive worship from all those He has called to be in relationship with Him. My opinions concerning missions are just that - opinions - not facts ... and although I don't like it, they are not necessarily right either. Furthermore, the actual out-working of missions can have numerous facets and variations to answering the "How?"

So, when I blurted out, "MISSIONS IS .... " followed by my adamant declaration thereof, well basically I alienated myself from the group I was hanging out with. But hey, I had made my point, and that was all that had mattered! I let them all know how much I know about missions! I totally impressed them with my grasp of such a complex subject! ... Not so much.

On the contrary, I found the true nature of the opinions had been revealed ... stemming from my on pride. One of the folks I was with commented on my statements and it hit me, like a baseball bat to the side of my face .... It doesn't hurt so much here or here, but right here. The statement was simple, truthful, and gentle, "All I know is I have lots to learn and when I think about missions I am humbled before God." BAM! Death blow.

I left the restaurant thinking, "How many times have people felt this same way?" I felt so much I took delight (pride) in had just crumpled before me, revealing a skeleton of conceitedness. I left with questions for God, with confession to God. That one statement had fleshed out so much heart searching and confession, and revealed some sickening degree of pride within my being. Not cool.

Anyway, this is a story of redemption, because as I made my way back to this person a week later, the response was one of over-flowing grace and humility. The body of Christ is indeed a glorious community!

2 comments:

  1. It's such a pity how highly we tend to think of ourselves. Thanks, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is so true. A pity. Thanks for the insider info.

    ReplyDelete