care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

12.13.2010

Homemade Aquaponic System

I have just finished the construction of a mini and homemade aquaponic system in my basement, and sowed seeds today (basil, cilantro, and peppers)!!! Before much more, let's break it down...

AQUAPONICS = Aquaculture + Hydroponics
(see pictures at bottom for a sample system)
  • Aquaculture = producing aquatic life forms (primarily fish, but not limited to them) in a man-made artificial system, in which some or all environmental factors are regulated and controlled
  • Hydroponics = producing horticultural crops in soilless (organic soil) conditions, being dependent upon mineral solutions for maintaining adequate plant nutrition for proper growth, development, and fruit production
That is each of these two facets of agriculture in a simplistic fashion. Aquaculture and hydroponics are made for each other. As a Christ-follower, I cannot but recognize God's divine and majestic design of what we know as the sciences! The science of agriculture has the design of God's handiwork written all over it! Its genius! For time sake, let's just consider these two. Plant require the element nitrogen (N) for proper growth and development, along with phosphorous (P) and potassium (K) as well as a whole host of other in very specific chemical forms. I believe it fair to say that of all of the nutrients plants require, N is by far the most important. Then just consider that the primary waste product from fish respiration and waste matter is NITROGEN. This N is in forms that plants may or may not be able to utilize, but in a process called nitrification, most N in made available for the plants to consume. ( Again, this is a very, very fast and simple explanation of all this.)

 So, is it by mistake that fish poop N and plants utilize it for growth, and that man has "discovered" this partnership? NO! For one, this has been around for centuries and centuries (thank you my Chinese friends and brothers!) Also, another resounding NO, because in God's perfect design of His creation, He put in place perfectly integrating biological systems! Don't miss that, it is so majestic! His design is unmistakable! 

Moving on.

My system is small and compact, purposefully. It is approximately a 50 gallons system in all. The fish production tank is 50 gallons, and I have two 8 gallon plant grow beds. The whole system is self-contained in that it is all sitting on a plastic pallet, with casters on it ... so its mobile too! I designed it with flexibility in mind, so I have no glued PVC parts, but instead have used polypipe and hose clamps to plumb everything. I have a 210 gph (gallons per hour) pump at 1' head, and my system has about 1.5ft head, so I am pumping just under 210 gph. My grow beds, for the plants, are an ebb-and-flow system, utilizing bell siphons to manage the ebbing and the flowing. Currently, the 8 gal grow beds are filling up in about 11-12 minutes and draining in about 4 minutes. The whole thing is continuously recirculating, so the water is always moving, passing through the grow bed media (pea gravel, currently), the future plant roots and filtration is occurring in those manners. 

Since I have hardly even begun to grow anything and don't have any fish in my system, this is all I am going to share for now, because their is not much more. I cannot grow tilapia - as is the goal - because the water temp is way too low - a cold 56 degrees F!!! I had a friend suggest trout, which I am going to give my hand at, but my limited knowledge of trout make me a bit weary. And I know they are much more demanding than tilapia when it comes to water quality, and I don't know that this little system will provide them with the high quality water they require. We shall see though!

Pictures and video follow!

The beginning ... a 50 gallon tub on a plastic pallet.

This is basically finished minus the grow beds. I built the frame for the tub, so it would not give out under the force of the water, and the grow beds are supported off to the side, so that they drain immediately back into the fish tank.

Thats it from the front, in its final location (at least while its winter), next to the window.
COME ON SUN LIGHT!!!

The siphon doing what it does, siphoning!

The following is a short video of the bell siphon and a quick glimpse of it working.




I hope you have enjoyed this, and as things progress I plan on posting updates.



3 comments:

  1. You Might have to adjust your siphon to come on sooner if the top of the gravel gets wet all the time you will get algae growth on time. everything else looks great. To get it to start cycling I would start your system with goldfish until your system can handle the fish waste. Took about 2 weeks to get mine to start processing the ammonia and gold fish are cheap if they die

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with nick, if your siphon kicks on about 1" below the surface of your beds, it will allow roots to breath more and keep algae from growing on the top. Looks amazing! I like the frame that you built. Check out my system

    apartment-farming.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, Matt,
    Thanks for the heads up. As soon as I read your note Nick, I recalled some other systems I have worked on that had some algae growth, but more that algae, it had sludge accumulation!.

    Anyway, I have shortened my standpipes. They are not an inch below the surface b/c my grow beds are a bit shallow, but I think it should work. Thanks guys

    ReplyDelete