care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

6.14.2009

this demands scrutiny

I just listened to a 10 minute excerpt of a sermon entitled, "Jesus Christ is Everything."

It was one of the more in your face, bold & blunt, proclamations of the truth and necessity of treasuring Christ I have ever heard. I truly think it would offend very many people ... but I truly believe he is dead on the mark, say ...

"The saddest place on earth is the biblical South, where everyone has just enough religion to send them straight to hell!!!"

That is intense. That is bold. That is sweeping and brutally blunt.

Is it true?
- a question worth considering with all of your being -

If it is
true, what are the consequences of it?
  • The reality behind this statement - if true - is one of desperation. If in the south - so many people - have just enough faith to be moral, yet godless people, and they are destined for hell ... then I would say the situation calls for immediate action, on behalf of those who do truly know Christ for the sake of those who are as Pharisees. It means people are deceived, thinking they are following God, when in reality He will proclaim on that Day, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.' (Matt 7:21-23). If his assumption and assessment of the religious South is correct, then the stakes could never be higher!

If its not true, why would he say that, what gives him the confidence to make such a claim?
  • If his bold statement is not true, then he (in my own opinion and guess) probably derived that statement by looking at the subculture of Christianity in the South - which we all know exists in full force! We all must admit that at one point in time - maybe still do - go to church 'cause "I am suppose to." and because "Thats what I did growing up." This may be the case - in fact it is the case. So may be ...
Either way, I believe a lot needs to happen in the Church today, so that in our mediocre hearts of worship, we will stop robbing God of the glory and honor due his name, like we do in Sunday morning worship when we sing, checking the clock, thinking of the best restaurant for lunch, falling asleep, or whatever it is that steals His honor from Him.

Whatever happened to the Lion of Christ? The one who slew death? Who defeated sin? Is this not exciting, awe inspiring, and mind blowing. Can we really sit in the pew, not being moved by thinking that the perfect spotless Lamb of God was slain yso that we might say, "
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagles." (Ps 103:2-5). How can we be confronted with these realities and not be weeping in joy, not be desperately longing that all peoples would know and worship him too!

Not to put any bias into this, but I agree with the statement, wholeheartedly. Which I regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment