care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

6.15.2009

scrutiny II

I last asked several questions about the comment:

"The saddest place on earth is the biblical South, where everyone has just enough religion to send them straight to hell!!!" ... A bold statement no doubt.

I posted the quote as my FB status and several people including myself responded. The responses are, well you can see for yourself:

From a friend of mine in Atlanta (Jeffery):

By that same token, you could have said that the saddest place on earth just post-Resurrection was the Jewish nation abroad--with just enough background in the truth to let them feel justified in rejecting Christ. Fortunately for the spread of the gospel, the other side of that coin (both then and now) is that when the Holy Spirit overcomes the "inoculation" of basic beliefs held without true faith, they have a wealth of basic knowledge that proves fertile ground for sanctification and understanding the things of God.
From a friend of mine in Auburn (Amber):
I like both this status and the above comment. (I can't "like" the comment, so I have to clarify that my thumbs up goes to both.)
From me:
Jeffery, that is one incredible answer ... one I would have never developed in my own simple mind/heart ... and is very true and insightful. The context I heard the statement in was a preacher asking/begging his congregation to be really - brutally - honest with themselves - to quit playing/toying with Christianity, & subsequently Christ too - and to evaluate & self examine, asking "Is Jesus Christ truly everything to me?!" The question I posted flowed logically from his series of questioning. And he is a preacher in the SE US. Nevertheless, both situations - true & heart-breaking over the current status of countless souls lost - are indeed the "saddest" ... because I would argue, the "lostness" within both groups here discussed brings a kind of sorrow that only God can feel over his strayed creation, a sorrow I would never attempt to describe.... So, lets be mindful and pray for workers for the harvest!
I would love to get some more feedback on this statement. Feedback and interaction helps us all to think deeper, clearer, and more honestly. So, lets hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment