care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

6.18.2009

mire

He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. (Ps 40:2)

I learned this verse today. I don't mean I memorized it ... but I learned it by living life today. At 8 am I was at lab for an aquaculture production course I am taking - basically learning how to manage fish and grow them to fillet size, if you will.

Part of that involves capturing the offspring, called fry - they are less than the width of your pinkie finger. The nearly 20,000 we netted out averaged about 9 mm in length! Which we had to harvest from drained ponds .. which required us to needed crawl into the empty pond.

But the mud! I can hardly describe it. Several times I about lost my shoes to it (and yes I actually had shoes on, not chacos). Several times I nearly fell over, I was often splashed in the face and for that matter all over my body. I must admit ... it was fun! I mean it was hot and hard and new ... but it was fun too.

But the mire, the mud we tried hard to walk around in the other morning ... it made me think of sin, of what it is the Lord has redeemed me from. Sin traps, often knocking us off balance and even more often knocking us over, making us fall. Sin is thick and unmanageable without Christ to reign in us, without the grace of the Father to grow in us holiness. Sin is also nasty and sly. Just like I enjoyed the mud, so sin can be "enjoyable" ... pleasurable and pleasing for a minute, but nasty on the inside. Filthy and gross, darkening the heart and hardening the heart - just as my shoes were caked in mud ... but it just inspired a few thoughts ... and a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment