care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

2.20.2009

why am I still amazed?

Sometimes I think God does things in my life, just to see my reaction ... and a lot of times, those reactions are ones of surprise, excitement, and sometimes, they're delayed reactions ... mostly because I often lack the time to think things through.... or I simply dont always take the time to. But, I think that reactions of surprise, excitement, and joy to the little surprises He gives so often are pleasing to Him... 

So, this is the tale of one of the Lord's gracious acts in my life, from the relatively recent past.

For a brief background, my master’s research is concerning fisheries and horticulture ... and for ease sake, making them work together, from using the same resources ... and it (not me) receives and gets a lot of attention from a number of organizations and people of influence. This is because my research is very innovative for Auburn, the Fisheries dept, and just innovative in general. It is a valuable resource for producing a consistent and dependable food source, for areas in the world where food resources are either scarce, or non-dependable.

So, a few deans from various colleges on campus came out to see my research. My professor and a guy I work closely with were out there too, simply showing them around, explaining why this research is valuable and how it can be relayed as a food production system ... but the thing is, this group of deans is the leaders of the AU/WFP partnership ... that is the Auburn University/World Food Program. The WFP is a branch or organization of the UN that basically is aimed at feeding the starving around the globe.

In the recent pass, the WFP came to AU in hopes to begin (& to begin it with AU) a coalition (if you will) of universities from around the US to support the WFP and spread awareness about world hunger ... its Universities Against World Hunger! Go check it out!

So, as those deans were out at my research, Dr. Chappell informed Dr. Giles (Director of AU/WFP) that I am interested in humanitarian aid work, and want to use my future master’s degree toward that end. ... and the rest is kind of history. 

Dr. Giles expressed interest in my interest in feeding the hungry ... and invited me to come & participate with the AU/WFP organization. Not only that, she expressed interest in hearing my opinions and concerns to be voiced at the meetings. I haven’t gone yet.

But the part that is really amazing, is that since its beginning (last year) ... the annual "Summit" they have has been held in Auburn, and is being held in town again this year ...next weekend. And more than that, Dr. Giles invited me to attend. Then, on her own, she also sent word to the interim dean of instruction of Ag, a Horticulture professor who I know well, and asked him to reserve one of the 5 college of Ag "scholarships" available for the Summit! 

So, not only am I about to get in on what the UN is doing and hoping to do across the US in regards to hunger, but I am going to get there for free, courtesy of Dr. Giles gracious extension and aid on my behalf .... which is by no chance, straight from the hand of God ... He is blessing my masters with so many opportunities and chances that are huge! And that’s not even the beginning of it ... but I don’t know much more, I just know there is a lot going to happen with my degree in the next several months of years, a lot with my life ....I am just anxious and antsy to see how the Lord is going to use me, and where he will take me!

1 comment: