care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

8.24.2011

Does this make me a Hokie, cause I feel like a tiger.

Yesterday, in 13 hours, I left a life in Birmingham AL that I have known for 10 years, for a new life in Virginia Beach, VA. The only word I have for it is surreal. Simply put, it does not seem real.

Being married to Meredith in four months seems more real to me, than actually being in Va Beach ... for good, not just for a trip. I am here to stay. Its bizarre. My family and I moved to five different cities growing up, but its been a long time since I have permanently relocated, so I've grown a bit unfamiliar with the feelings associated with such changes. But it is good; its good because I am bought and loved by a good God. He does all things well. In Genesis he rejoiced at the good work of His hands in creation. Each new day passed and He proclaimed to a universe reverberating with His glory, "IT IS GOOD!" This is not surprising, because He was simply - yet in no unmistakable fashion - declaring with absolute certainty what is true of Himself, of His character. That He is good.

Thus reason and logic would lead me here ... This is also good. I'd even say great! Which leads me to ask, "Why the mixed feelings?" The answer is simply, with multiple facets.

I had to say goodbye to the girl I love, the girl I am head over heels for, my fiancé. Show me a guy who has to leave his fiancé for a time who is not grieved and with a heavy heart, and I'll show you a guy who does not love her well or right.

I had to say goodbye to my mom and dad and little brother, who I have had the pleasure to living with for the last year, albeit unexpected.

I had to say goodbye to friends I love, even to friends who recently moved to the area that I've known since living in Auburn.

I dropped everything I've grown to know and love all for a new location, new job, new friends, new culture. It may come as a surprise, but the culture of Birmingham AL and Virginia Beach, VA are NOT the same. Sorry, I am not trying to sound like some martyr or something, this is just the flow of thoughts in my head and heart right now.

BUT ... I am excited. I have not doubt this will be a good place, a good life. Christ has poured blessing upon blessing out and grace upon grace over me, to give me the desires of my heart. So I am moving forward, praying that I keep this mindset and to press on to live the best life I can. I feel almost like I've been given the chance to start over, or at least again. ... I feel as though I am running full steam ahead, in light of God's blessing to the next phase of life. And its very exciting.

I guess I just have one question. Since I am going to be working for Virginia Tech - starting tomorrow - does this make me a Hokie? 'Cause I feel like a Tiger! (And I know my answer to that one too).

No comments:

Post a Comment