care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

5.25.2011

Past

I am very mindful today, that when the past haunts, all we have - for those who have found their all-in-all and their certain, unwavering hope in Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior - is the hope of tomorrow, the hope of a future, & the hope of eternity where all faces, long streaked with tears, are forever tear-free & all the entangling aches & pains of yesterday are totally erased because all that will be before us is the glory of Christ Jesus, fully revealed in complete & full glory!

The pain of the past drives me to the foot of the cross of Christ, where all my hopes are (& must continually be), because as the pain of the past reminds me, I am a very fallen, desperate man capable of great sins, & therefore in need of a greater Savior! Thus, the Good News is the Gospel, because Jesus' capacity to forgive is greater than my capacity to sin - past, present, or future!

And so, as I consider the past, pushing on for today & tomorrow, in the words of the Avett Brothers, "Maybe I don't have to be good but I can try to be at least a little better than I've been so far" ... with the idea that the Christian life is not one of absolute perfection, although that is the desired end, but today & tomorrow are holy direction, not holy perfection. I am mindful of Paul's exhortation to push on past what is behind, striving to lay hold of whats ahead, "forgetting what lies behind & straining forward to what lies ahead."

Christ lies ahead! My eyes, my hopes are set on Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment