care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

9.25.2010

A Great Taste and a Smile

One of the best ways to see and experience a place or a people or anything a new location has to offer is to walk through an area.

I did that this morning. I am in St. Louis visiting one of my best friends, Nathan Lucy, who is in seminary here at Covenant Seminary. He woks at a coffee shop, which cannot be more than a mile and half from his flat. He left this morning for work at 6:30 am and I was not going then at that time of the morning, no way! So, when I did get up and was ready to do something, I decided I would walk to the coffee shop.

Only thing is, Lucy would not answer his phone & I didn't have the wireless password. I just left, not knowing my way, but knowing I could always ask. Thats what I did. I left depending on complete strangers to get me where I needed to be.

Turns out, people are generally friendly and helpful here in St. Louis. As I went I found people knew more and more about where I desired to get to. My first set of direction was, "Dogtown...um...its that way (pointing diagonally across the interstate)." My next directions consisted of 3 street names and 3 turns. The 3rd street and subsequent turn were not correct. So I asked again. The next directions followed the same pattern, until eventually I got the perfect directions and found myself sitting in Cairdeas Coffeeshop in Dogtown, St. Louis, with a huge breakfast quesadilla and coffee in front of me. The quesadilla was delicious and the coffee was extra-rich because it is all relationship coffee. Cairdeas is cool, as is Dogtown 'cause its this little Irish ghetto of St. Louis. Its awesome.

So, St Louis, thanks for leaving a great taste on my tongue and a smile on my face.

The food I have had so far has been good. I had fried ravioli on Thursday night, followed by some amazing Italian chicken dish! The food has been good. The drinks have been enjoyable. The people are friendly. Lucy and his crew are awesome, and its only my second full day here. Plus, during my walk to Cairdeas, I saw this beauty (1967, Stringray Corvette ... My favorite car of all time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment