care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

6.01.2010

Long

I have had the privilge of being in the same country for mission work, as a family from home (Birmingham) who are dear friends, they are like family to me. The Longs! They are unbelievablly awesome! There are not many families that can compare! Mark and Mama Marge! I dont even know how to begin to describe them, because words like awesome, great, passionate, bold, strong, wonderful, beautiful, etc ... don't really to do much justice for describing this family. There is Mark (husband, father), Mama Marge (wife, and mother as the "Mama" would indicate), and their daughters Serena and Eden.

They love the Lord unlike many people do or even know how to. They are passionate lovers of Christ and are zealous to see His Kingdom come more fully to Costa Rica! They are ambassadors for Him, and I know Jesus is so pleased to have them faithfully following His call, and taking His name to those who do not know that Name. This goes for all four of them. And I feel I must address Serena and Eden for a second. Never have I met young ladies who are this mature. They are both in high school. And two years ago their parents told them, "We are moving to Costa Rica!" Their response to that statement is something along the lines of, "We are most thankful for our lives in Costa Rica," which as I am told was in reference to being asked, "What are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?" (last thanksgiving). And this is not a cliche answer, they meant and the joy of they display in their lives confirms it. They would tell you it has been hard - maybe the hardest thing they have done, not totally sure - but that is has been the best too!

Now, moving on a little. This family has loved my family and I so well. Not only are they lovers of Christ, they are lovers of people too! They continually are pouring out the overflowing spring of Christ's love into the lives of the people around them! And thus, by default (not to take anything away), they have loved me so well. In fact they introduce me as their son!

They have had me to stay with them two times since being here, which do not include the two weekends that they let me tag along when my parents were down here with their church on a mission trip with the Longs. And they want me back before I leave CR (T-minus 26 days, booo!). They not only have me in their home for these weekends, but one daughter gives up a bed and room for me, and the other then shares her room and bed with her. They don't let me by anything, they cover my pizza dinners at youth group, and just in general include me in everything...it is like being a son! And I cannot write about the Longs and not mention FOOD.

Mama Marge made for me the first time her 3 generation old spaghetti sauce recipe (and the spaghetti too), and this past weekend she made homemade white chicken chili! let me just say, being a huge food lover myself, these meals have ministered to a part of my soul not often ministered to here, since the food - although good - is not like what Marge has prepared! This is like soul food - not like southern soul food, but food that is good even for the soul! Not to mention it was amazingly delicious! And with the chili there was cornbread! Yet still, I was sent home with a full bowl of the chili, more cornbread and some (4 to be exact) sugar cookies - I must clarify "4" because she said, "I am only going to send you with four so that I don't feel guilty about you eating too much sugar." Even concerned - just like my mom - about my diabetes. Haha.

I have been so loved and so blessed by this family. For those of you who know them, well ... you know what I am talking about. If you don't now them, it would be worth the trip to Costa Rica to meet them!

No comments:

Post a Comment