care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

12.24.2009

The warm and cozy ... homeless park?

Ok, so in my last post I more or less blasted what a large majority of Christians do now-a-days, namely sit in a coffee shop and chat away theirs lives (myself included). I reported that I was going to live up to my own challenge and report back some of my experiences. Thats what this post is for.


So, two Wednesdays ago now, I set out for a local spot in the Ham called 5 Points, which all things considered, is actually a really awesome part of town, very eccentric and eclectic, almost bohemian. Its a major cultural clash, a hodge-podge of rich and poor, classic and new age, high class and hippie, art and trashy ... you get my point. And yet, in this little niche of a neighborhood ... there is both the nicest, most expensive restaurant in all of B'ham, and a park around the corner known for its homeless population. You can see Bentleys and Aston-Martins on one side of the street and on the other wigged out, drunk homeless men.


So, in my efforts to make "loving the poor and down-trodden in act" a part of my life, I wrangled up some beanies from around the house, 7 or so, which I found buried at the bottom of closets, stowed away in storage bins, etc ... grabbed them and made my way to 5 Points - literally 3.2 miles from my folks' house. 


It was a cool 36 degrees out - cold in my book - and so I was sure that the homeless would be bundled up and hidden. And so it was. I had assumed as long as I didn't see anyone to give the beanies to, I would just prayer walk around the area for a while. Included in my prayers was a request for Jesus to put some homeless men or women in my path. For the first 45 minutes there was hardly a soul to see, not even homeless, I just mean in general - there was no one. I made a large loop from my car and back during the first 30 minutes. I grabbed the beanies upon passing my car, and then headed the opposite direction, continuing to pray as I went along. By now, I was getting antsy to meet some new friends. So I again began praying for some homeless to show.


I kid you not, as I made my way through the park there, I had decided to just set the beanies out, for them to take up as they wandered their way through the area. I set one beanie down. Turned. And there he was, Rowan. I hollered at him, he turned and as I got close enough introduced myself, I explained I was home for a month before moving away, and that I had every intention of hanging out at 5 Points several nights a week while I was in town. He seemed interested. He didn't need a beanie, he said he already had two. As soon as I spoke to him for about 30 seconds, Roosevelt appeared! He was a little less ... altogether present, mentally. He was hammered. But he enjoyed selecting a beanie (He got one of the warmer ones!). And apparently, he doesn't just give his name to anyone ... but trusted me enough to tell me his name ... true or not, I got a name! Around another corner, as Rowan split and Roosevelt and I walked on, Willie was there headed our way. He took a beanie. Then within seconds there was Percy, Christopher, and one more who's name I didn't catch.


Literally, within a matter of ten minutes I met six homeless men. They were awesome. Genuinely pleased to see another soul (a stranger, a new-comer if you will). They were just as pleased to be offered an item as simple as a beanie... its practical. Its cold outside, your head gives off a large percentage of your body heat, and so a beanie makes sense! 


But, the heart breaking realization?


Most of them, nay all of them had beanies. My offering was just a nice addition to an already pretty warm head! Truth be told, most of them were not truly cold, as in shivering due to a lack of covering! That was a bit of a surprise for this suburban white boy.


The truth of the matter is that most of all (physically) they need food! I felt almost silly, nearly stupid, almost as if my offering were an insult - I mean, I know they were appreciative and all. I asked, "What do you need?" or "Would you like a beanie?" ... the common answer, "Oh thank you so much, I already have one ... " or  "Oh thank you, yes I would love one thank you ... " but both responses were followed with "... but I really need a meal or some food."


I plan on meeting that need. As best I can at some point soon!


So, here are some thoughts.


1) Jesus definitely wants us to love the "least of these" - after 45 minutes of hardly seeing a soul ... I met 6 homeless men on the very last leg of my little walk around the area!!! He provided for me to show some small token of his love. Mind you, Jesus' love is ultimately shared by speaking GOSPEL truth into a person's life, however His love can be and SHOULD be tangible too! Such as in beanies, or hotdog dinners or PB&J dinners, or FRIENDSHIP!!! This last bit is what I hope to offer the most of. Jesus is not for charity. He is for LOVE, for REDEMPTION!


2) I am truly out-of-touch. I pray to become more in-touch! Poverty, homelessness, etc ... is huge. Only God will overcome it, if that be so pleasing to Him ... but in the meantime, I can be as the arms and hands of Christ to those less fortunate than myself.


3) Action brings faith and belief to life. You encounter Christ when you take action. For me, it was an inner, spiritual encounter. I imagine that I will begin to see Him in the homeless as I get to know them ... for He tells us, "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me." (Matt 25:40).


4) One taking action may and probably will inspire others. I tell this only because it confirms this desire in my heart and spurs me on my way. I sent an email shortly before going inviting several friends to tag along with me at a later date as I attempt to make it to 5 Points several times a week. This email made it the the dad of one of my friends. Dr. Walker called me a little later that week and offered to buy the food for a meal for the guys down at 5 Points if I would take him down there!!! How awesome is that? FYI: I just graduated, paid 1/2 a months graduate student stipend ... point being, I have NO money to buy them food! But Dr. Walker does, and is not only willing to, but giddy to!!!


I cannot remember exactly what I wrote last time, but I desire this to become an ongoing and habitual part of my life, that is taking time for loving in action the poor, the widowed, the orphaned. 


Mind you, do not think I report to tell of what I have done. I cant do crap. Never will. It will always be Christ Jesus in and through me that anything good ever comes of my life, time, energy, resources etc...!


Give it shot. Go love someone!!!


MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments:

Post a Comment