care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

12.15.2009

Christianity does not happen in a Coffeehouse!

Disclaimer: 
I am one of many that this is targeted at, because I more than most love what I am about to write against.




Christianity is not a thing. It's not a belief. It's not an event or a choice.
It must necessarily be a life. Not a lifestyle. But your life. 
If you are a Christian, then Christ must be you life.


I have had ongoing thoughts of how out-of-touch Christians are today. I have some friends who are challenging my thinking big time too.  When I say "out-of-touch" I mean with Christianity - true, radical, hardcore, sold out for Christ Christianity - not out-of-touch with the world, because if anything, maybe we are all a little too in-touch with the world around us.


Here I want to address the disconnect between true religion and coffeehouse religion.


Paul says on behalf of God, "Pure & undefiled religion in sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, & to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)


Note, it is in the sight of our God that we are to measure what is pure and undefiled - or what is righteous and holy. According to God's standard, He wants, rather commands us to love the least of those around us. Not only are we to love them ... but to make a special effort to do so in their distress! My own personal confession? I  do not care about widows and orphans, so my history screams. I don't make special effort to care for and love on this overlooked population, to make sure they are fed, warm, or in need of any miniscule thing! So, I am the first to accept my own words, which may sound harsh.


But I guess now, I ask, just because Paul lists orphans and widows, does this exclude the homeless, the mentally ill, prisoners, societal outcasts? I don't think so. I have no grounds for assuming the greek is or isn't more encompassing than it is,  but I do know God came in the man Jesus, to heal the sick, not the healthy; that he called prostitutes to Himself before the Pharisees; that He loved the least of those that the world has to offer ... If I recall correctly, He came and rescued fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, the effeminate, homosexuals, thieves, the covetous, drunkards, and swindlers ... which some of us are/were (definitely me, I fit under far too many of those labels) ... BUT, you were washed, BUT you were sanctified, BUT you were justified in the name of the LORD JESUS CHRIST and in the Spirit of our God (1 Cor 6:9-11, with my own input and capitalized emphasis).


My point?


Maybe we should spend less time sipping lattes; discussing how sinful we are, how we wish we could feel God and his love, how messed up American Christianity is, how we wish we could get rid of all the stuff we don't need or clothes we don't wear, or whatever the hell it is we do in coffeehouses (or whatever) for hours on end blowing hot air AND instead get out on the streets to love the homeless, the addicts, the prostitutes, or get in the homes of the widowed or the elderly and take care of them, befriend them, and love them or visit the orphanages and care for, befriend, and love them too.


Talk is not action. Talk is talk. It is not faith.
Faith in my book looks a lot like action. So maybe... less talk and more action is a good thing. Maybe less talk and more action would equate to more faith lived out, more loved poured out, and more glory to God through Jesus.


As I mentioned earlier, I include myself in this. I am not mad, please don't read it that way. Passionate? You better believe it!


Do I plan on practicing and reporting on the things I am challenging? Absolutely!!! 


Do I regret that for so much of my life I have served self and remained in my castles of comfort and cozy warmth? Yes.


Is it too late to change it? No.


Motivation? To love like Christ did. To follow and obey His commandments for His name sake.


Again, I recite Jude 25 - To the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority before all time and now and forever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Right on dude! Talk is cheap and it's super easy to do. For instance, I've been talking to church leaders in the area for a while now about challenging their congregants to learn about their community by being in their community instead of hiding in their Christian bubble; then they need to impact said community. Ironically, I haven't done this myself! I've been talking about it a lot and I've almost perfect my little speech about it. Yet, I still haven't been to the pub right by my house or even mentioned Jesus to my neighbors on either side of me. Lame.

    Keep writing dude. I like it.

    *Also, Paul did not write James....James wrote James. Kind of a funny typo if you ask me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brother, I appreciate the input. All your thoughts in the comment line up with my own life dead on. Talk is cheap. Action... well its the real deal. Thanks for the heads up on authorship ... ha, its a bit of an embarrassing typo!

    ReplyDelete