care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

5.13.2009

**NEWS FLASH**

THIS JUST IN...

PRIDE ... its a sneaky bastard! (my thoughts)

PRIDE ... it a son of a bitch! (my friend's thoughts, and I agree!)

The conversation I had with my friend today began with a comment I made about a prayer I prayed. I have been reading in 1 Corinthians 1 & 2 for the last week or so ... and the biggest billboard type thing I am chewing the cud on is, let him who boasts, boast in the Lord ... this is obviously a good thing to do!

However, when I praying over this - that it be something inherent within my being to boast only in the Lord - I realized I was praying that initially in pride. I prayed in pride asking God that I only boast in him ... but what I meant was, "God make me to boast only in you ... so that those who view me as a godly example will further uphold the grandiose view of me that they have, that I am a super christian with all my priorities correct and in line as they should be. Help me to boast only in you so that others might glorify me!!!" - that is what I meant!

That is why I stated above that pride is one sneaky little bastard. It is so deceptive and conniving ... I hate it. And the Enemy uses pride &/or the guilt there associated to condemn me. Even writing this, I feel condemned for writing about how much I hate pride ... as though my hatred for pride is something in and of itself to be prideful about ... AND THATS SIMPLY ABSURD!!!

But also pride in somethings is good, to a certain degree. We should take pride in our work, to do it our best to the Lord's honor, we need to take pride in and care of all our oh so numerous material blessings being good stewards of what has so graciously been given us by the hand of God, but even these forms of pride become stumbling blocks to us, when that pride becomes misplaced and seeks MY glory, for it to be all about ME, MYSELF, and I!!! Rather than on God.




I hope to maybe edit this post with some more legitimate thoughts later. Yet, for the time being, ponder the previous two thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment