care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

5.31.2009

cold. in the middle of summer?

Absolutely.

Some of the things I have been studying in the Bible, with some help from outside resources as well, revealed an important truth to me today.

They said this, "...sin that is tolerated in the nation, or the home, or the individual, always drives the Holy Spirit of God away."

The context of this statement was in discussion of how the Lord drew his presence (the shekinah cloud) away from the Israel as the continued to partake in "vile images" and "detestable idols." And as the Lord left the temple, he followed shortly by removing his presence from the whole nation. Then Israel faced hardships unknown to you and me. There country was invaded, they were dispersed and taken into captivity.

What I realized as I read through all the material was that ... when I am habitually sinning - be it pride, lust, lying, selfishness, etc ... - I always assumed it was my heart growing cold, hard and numb toward God ... but dont get me wrong, in those times of life, my heart is indeed cold, hard and numb, but its not just simply that I sinned repeatedly and repeatedly ... its that b/c of the sin upon sin upon sin ... God is slowing removing His presence from me, and there is no other outcome but to become cold, hard and numb in spirit and heart toward God ... because the blessing of close communion, intimate fellowship and unbroken praise with and to God is no longer there ...

What remains? Well ... an empty, self-loathing, sinner appearing as though ragged from a long battle in tumultuous seas ... lifeless on the inside, cold on the outside shell of a man.

This is a truth I will remember. My continuing to be apathetic about sin issues will and does result in the removal of God's manifest and felt personal presence ... for He cannot remain where sin abides.

No comments:

Post a Comment