care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

4.15.2009

In response ... Heroes

One of my best friends had a post recently about heroes.

He expounded a lot about why people can take the idea of having heroes too far ... to idolization ... which, as he mentioned, happens all too often.

You should know, he is a much deeper thinker than I ... and I have ever personally been irritated "when people (especially Christians) idolize human beings who are no better than themselves" ... I have always thought admiration is an excellent thing, of course in its proper place ... this topic brings to mind several scripture references:

  • Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. - 2 Tim 1:13
  • For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. - 1 Pt 2:21
But, Nathan asked, "Who are your heroes?" I have a number, off the top of my head ...

my Dad - Ron, he is a business, yet man of God, like not many I know. He is not driven by pride, power, position, or money ... he is driven by a love for the Lord, and a love for our family. He is probably the most giving person I know.

my Mom - Lynn, she is probably the coolest mom ever, not too mention her godly lifestyle. She loves with all she is ... for example, my little brother is graduating this year and recently she has been sowing. This is not new, it just a hobby that seemingly has been put on hold for nearly thirty years as she has been raising three boys.

my Brothers - Benjamin (Bub) and Mark - each in their own right.

my mom's Father - He died when she was 11, so I never met this man. But the way my mom speaks of him makes me, not only, know I could love him dearly, but also makes me admire and view him as my grandfather. One day I will meet him.

C.H. Spurgeon - I love to read his work. I can picture sitting with him, smoking a pipe, speaking softly in a dimly lit room about the deeper things of God, salvation and sanctification. If there is one author/book (besides the Bible) that has influenced my life the most, it would be his writings!

Joseph - the Genesis Joseph. I would love to sit & talk with him, to hear his perspective, from his own mouth, about his life and how God "gloriously ruined it"!

Maybe I will have time soon enough to explain all these a little more, and complete my list. I would also like to follow this post up with my thoughts about our societies misplaced value of greatness, which ties into who we view as heroes ... !!!

Thanks Hoag, for triggering some good thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment