care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

2.13.2009

useless desires ... thanks you patty

Say goodbye to the old street 
That never cared much for you anyway
The different-colored doorways
You thought would let you in one day
Goodbye to the old bus stop, frozen and waiting
The weekend edition has this town way overrated

You walk across a baseball field
The grass has turned to straw
A flock of birds tries to fly away from where you are
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye old friend
I can't make you stay
I can't spend another ten years
Wishing you would anyway

How the sky turns to fire against a telephone wire
And even I'm getting tired of useless desires

Every day I take a bitter pill that gets me on my way
For the little aches and pains
The ones I have from day to day
To help me think a little less about the things I miss
To help me not to wonder how I ended up like this

I walk down to the railroad track and ride a rusty train
With a million other faces I shoot through the city veins
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye old friend
You wanted to be free
Somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I want to be

How the sky turns to fire against a telephone wire
And even I'm getting tired of useless desires

Say goodbye to the old building 
That never tried to know your name
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye old friend
You won't be seeing me again
Goodbye to all the windowpanes shining in the sun
Like diamonds on a winter day
Goodbye, goodbye to everyone

How the sky turns to fire against a telephone wire
Burns the last of the day down
And I'm the last one hangin' around
Waiting on a train track, and the train never comes back
And even I'm getting tired of useless desires

- courtesy of Patty Griffin ... if you dont know the song, you should!

I dont think this song has any true spiritual meaning ... but the line ... and even I'm getting tired of useless desires ... this line is what feels like a knife through my heart, like a dagger in my back ...

You see, there are days, times, and seasons of life, for me, that are inherently full of truly useless desires, these are not of my new creation, the person born of the Spirit of God, at salvation in Jesus; but rather these desires are of the old, left for dead creature that is still battling for the attentions and passions of my heart (therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come2 Cor 5:17) ... 

These times in life, drive me nuts, they make me crazy, because most of the time ... no, ALL THE TIMES that these useless desires are so fervently making themselves known ... I am not living a life that glorifies my Maker, the Almighty God of Heaven! If by chance, you need some convincing that the Christian life is strictly for the glory of God, recall the greatest commandment and read Psalm 67 ... God has created me for his glory ... and when I am not glorifying Him, what then is the purpose of my life?

There is no purpose, my life is thus wasteful of all the talents, breaths, and moments He gives me daily!

So when useless desires are born within my sinful, sin-filled heart, what is the child of God to do? To run, sprint and spend all energy and use every resources neccesary to retreat to the Cross, the point of victory in all of creation and history ... the place of victory over death, sin and Satan ... and when we resist on the GROUNDS OF THE CROSS ...  our desires cannot but be changed to match those of the Savior, the One and Only, Jesus Christ! And then our purpose is being fulfilled!

The useless desires must be slain!

No comments:

Post a Comment