care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

11.30.2008

bare feet

there are a couple of things that come to mind when I picture bare feet.

but the most recent mental picture was different than the others.

it happened on thanksgiving! a great day to sit in remembrance of all that I have to be so grateful and thankful for ... but that's not what I did this past turkey day. I could not stop remembering the faces and feet of the many little children and adults alike, that I saw and met and cried over this summer in the Dominican Republic, in some of the poorest living conditions I have ever seen!

so as I sat on my butt and stuffed my face full of food, warm and cozy around the fire, comfortable and fat watching football, and just barely squeaking down several small pieces of desert here and there, only to eventually fall asleep, safe and sound in my bed with many snugly covers in my family's suburbia home ... on and off I could not stop thinking of those little children all day long...

and i only say 'i could not stop thinking ' b/c at times I felt guilty for enjoying myself so much in such abundance ... as we are all pros at here in the Land of Excess, America! i felt guilty b/c i told them i loved them, that i would pray for them, that i would go and see them again, that I would x, y, and z for them too. but the truth is, i haven't even emailed them. i was given four email addresses, and i have not sent a single email in the four months since the trip. now there is something dramatically wrong with that ... which is not to say that an email is an effective means of ministry, but at least they would realize i haven't just forgot about them! 

2 cor 12.15 says,  "I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls..."  and col 4.17 says, "See that you fulfill the ministry that you have received in the Lord." ... I have not done either of these, if by sending several emails and praying for these dear souls in the DR is what the Lord has called me to do for their souls as a ministry ... 

1 comment:

  1. good post. i can relate. kids that came through camp this (and last) summer deal with so many things and problems and i told them i would talk to them and write them (at the time really meaning it) but i havent. so even though our stories arent the same, they are. we need to think about them more than ourselves.

    ReplyDelete