care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

7.26.2008

Eventually the Water has to be Turned Off ... Right?

Right. Well, I don't know if, in reality a fire hydrant can ever run out of water or not, but lets just assume it can and therefore it must be turned off sooner or later ...so just assume this to be the case for the purposes of what I am about to say. Assume it because the fire hydrants in my life have run out of water for now!

Two Fridays ago (July 17), I had a meeting with a man I will grow to know well over the next two years, a professor from Auburn, in the Fisheries Department, Dr. Chappell. I met him at the Holiday Inn ... no not like that ... like in the parking lot before he continued his travels for the day. Basically all he said was, "Adam, we have the necessary funding for you to start grad school in August." Then we parted ways.

So, my life before this little meeting was totally up in the air. I didn't know my name, who my family was, and couldn't even recall ... well basically I didn't know when I would start grad school, or if I ever would. And even in the scenario of knowing I would begin at all, I didn't know if I would begin in August or wait until January. So in light of that, I moved half of all my belongings home from Auburn, preparing to live in my parent's basement and to get a job for the fall. Then Dr. Chappell tells me the good news, and I am starting my masters program in August, in Auburn.

Since then, you have heard about the fire hydrants being switched from off, to full blast ... which by the way is powerful enough to knock you out, to take your feet out from under you, to fill your ears up with water so nothing makes sense, and still strong enough to confuse you about this recent discovery they call "gravity"! You get my point?

Now, to continue with new information ... As of yesterday (Friday, July 24) my entire life for the next year and a half has been determined. I am now on payroll at Auburn University, I have about a thousand new keys (one of which means I can go and fish at the fisheries units in Auburn for free), and I have a class schedule ... this being the least exciting of them all. Furthermore, I have found a place to live ... and having been in a house for the last two years, I am grateful to have found a new house and to be rooming with a great friend of mine. And it only cost $560/month total ... so lets do some math, that means I am paying $280 a month plus utilities. And it is much more up to date than my current residence is ... I mean this place I have lived in the last two years, "The Yellowish House," is quite literally falling in. The new house, which is also yellow (by chance) is taken better care of.

So, literally in a matter of a week, I have gone from totally unknown plans for my life to a really pretty focused and narrow outlook of what I will be doing over the next two years or so. God has a funny way of working, seeing that I began this process seven months ago and now in a week it all falls perfectly in line! That's cool.

The mind of man plans his way,But the LORD directs his steps. - Pro. 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment