care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

9.18.2011

I don't have a dream!

What an absurd statement that would be. I would rebuke you for such a declaration; & I hope you would me.

As I am beginning this new phase of life ... there is this drawn out beginning of about 4 months ... a new phase that includes a "real life" job, "real life" responsibilities, & marriage. Its safe to say that its a new phase. Anyway, as I transition into it, I am mindful of the question, "What are my dreams? ...What is the most outlandish, crazy, & farfetched dream I have?" That's been in my head & heart a lot recently. I guess change stirs everything up again. I am okay with that!

These thoughts also make me mindful of one of my favorite quotes of all time, "Care more than some think is wise; Risk more than some think is safe; DREAM more than some think is practical; Expect more than some think is possible." This phrase strikes a the core of my being in ways I do not know how to explain.

As for dreaming, I think I have lost some of my ability to dream the impossible. My imagination is diminished, to a degree. I think reality can do that. That is why we must get out & find adventure, come face to face with risk, & push the limits of the status quo. When I say adventure, I mean action-packed, on-the-edge of your seat, life-giving adventure! Get out & rock climb, be intimidated by the height & then laugh in its face, climb a mountain, play in waves that scare you, ride you bike too far one way knowing you have the same distance still to go to get home, run until your legs give out, serve the unserved, love the unloved. Do stupid things - with in reason. Go streaking or skinny dipping, I don't care ... DO SOMETHING! I say these things, because they break the pattern of what we have come to tamely call "reality," or "life." These things give life. They are practical, & tangible. I think it helps to awaken our souls to the dreams God has given us that are hopefully much, much larger than we are ... dreams need be grandiose & ridiculous!

So, I commit to as often as I can, finding a source of adventure & taking advantage of it.

I am 100% convinced that we are each given a dream bigger than ourselves, & if that be they case it means we each have a purpose bigger than ourselves. Now, I have what may sound like a simple answer, maybe even cliché ... but that is because we don't fully understand (I am included in that). The only thing beyond us is God. He made it that way. The God-sized dreams of life are because He is the author of them, & has invited us to share in living out those dreams as He makes the impossible happen. If He is the author, than our purpose is to display His ability to make the impossible, the impractical happen. In short, our purpose is to glorify God, by being agents of His glory in Jesus Christ.

So I am fully convinced that big & over-the-top dreams are a necessity of life ... otherwise we get molded into some hum-drum routine. I am not down with that. So, maybe you're thinking,  "Well, you have all this high & lofty talk of dreams, what are yours?" If you were thinking, thanks for asking.

I have had two magnificent dreams for probably the last 10 years, & they've yet to change.

First & foremost, I have ambitions & dreams of being overseas engaging a world longing to meet its Creator, with its Creator; ambitions of being used in some meager or magnificent way of spreading the Kingdom of Christ, of how He invites people to join Him in His unusual means of conquest...love, grace, mercy, holiness, & justice. It is inevitable & drawing nearer with each passing day, that He will make it happen. So I want to be about it, both here In Virginia Beach & there ... wherever "there" is.

An unbearably close second to that is to have a my own family. You may think these are small dreams, but I have a different take. What amazes me most, is that I am participating in this second one coming to fruition, right before my very eyes! I've met, dated, & engaged my soon-to-be-wife & as I have told her often, as much as I asked from the Lord for "the girl he had for me," I did not ask enough ... because I got a lot more goodness & amazing-ness than I ever knew to ask for. She is amazing, an answer to a long prayed prayer, & perfect. I think that right there is to dream more than some think practical. Because what I know is this ... there is nothing even remotely logical, or explicable about two sinners joining their life together & expecting it to go well. We are both too selfish, left to our own devices that is...THAT IS NOT PRACTICAL. Yet, we are convinced by God's everlasting love & the covenant of grace we have with Him in Christ, that He will provide more than sufficiently what we need to be a living example of that very covenant, the one Christ made for His bride, the Church. So the soon-to-come day when we both say "I do," its not an option, we will have covenanted with each & before God, & are therefore dedicated to each other for life.

We will join our lives together as one, to pursue what extravagant & outlandish dream He has for us as a family, both while here in Virginia Beach & there, wherever "there" is. I am set for adventure, for I believe that I am the follower of a wild, & untamed God who is far to creative to let me be bored in life; because He calls you and me to be completely abandoned and recklessly His, releasing the care of self into His control, and then we are free to be use by Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment