care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

3.07.2011

The Giving Tree

I am sure you know this story. Its a children's classic. Its moving, and a vivid picture of what love is. This book moves me. I have not read it in years, but I know it well enough without need of reading it to know how I cherish it. Its simply wonderful. It is heart warming.

However, I think there is a darkness to it, that must be addressed. Why? Because the tree gives its entire self away. The tree sacrifices itself for the boy. From a tree perspective, I would assume this story is a tear-jerker, and full of angst! But darkness does not equate to bad, or any such thing.

You see, I cannot read this book and not be reminded of One who gave Him entire self away, who sacrificed Himself for me, who died at His own expense for my own benefit! You see, this book to me drives me to the cross of Christ, "...'twas on that old rugged cross Jesus suffered & died, to pardon & sanctify me."

Jesus gave everything, Philippians 2 speaks of this stating,  "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." And in Galatians 3:13 Paul tells us, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us - for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who hanged on a tree.'" Jesus gave it all away! That is why He calls us with all authority to give our lives away for His name sake!

It is for this reason that I am grateful for the book The Giving Tree ... it is the ordinary in life driving me to the supernatural, causing me to face the urgency of eternity and thus causing my heart to worship the eternal & holy Creator-God who in His very own goodness - on no account of man's merit - offered to redeem a creation that spat on Him!

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is exalted forever and ever, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment