care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

2.02.2011

Homemade Aquaponic System - Update

Not much has changed with my system. Still no fish. Bummer. But, I have adjusted several aspect of the growbeds, or more precisely, the bell siphons. The timing is perfect now!

Initially I had 1/2" standpipes, with a 1" bell pipe on each, and a 2" gravel guard around each bell siphon (see picture). Several problems arose from this set up. Because the gravel guard was so tight fitting, it meant the gravel was, basically, right next to the bell siphon. This equated to not much air available to break the siphon. Thus, the siphon eventually reached an equilibrium with the input flow rate.

Now, I have cut the height of the standpipes about a 1/2" below the surface level of the pea gravel grow media. I have also replaced the 2" guard with a 3" guard! This pushed the gravel back a bit allowing air to flow straight down to the siphon and break it, making my grow beds fill up again, & again, & again. Thus, its finally an ebb and flow, as opposed to an ebb (once ) and then flow (continuously).

Not the space between the bell pipe & the gravel guard

Sown: Basil (front), Cilantro (2nd row), peppers (3rd) & bibb lettuce (2nd  grow bed)

Cilantro babies (prior to adjusting stand pipe height).
I sowed a few cilantro seeds early on, as well as basil and peppers. About two weeks later I sowed some Butterhead lettuce seeds. Two days ago I sowed the remaining spaces in both growbeds. Now I have got to get fish! I have some connections to get some tilapia for free! But first the system is due a heater ... tilapia don't care for 62oF water.

The above was written a weeks ago.

As of five days ago, I bought an aquarium heater. Water temperature is now 72oF! So tilapia are on the horizon! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment