care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

1.04.2011

grow.

Today, now, this year ... this is the time to grow. Its the season to grow, to push roots deep down into the rich soils nearer & nearer the bank of Jordan. Its the time and place to see marked progress. Its - now - for growing.

That is my prayer for this beginning of the year

As I have reflected over 2010, if I had to label it as one of growth or digression, it was a year of digression. A year of watching somethings in my heart, mind and being come undone. An undoing that I totally 'fess up to, to which I completely take responsibility.

That is not too fun to admit. As children of the Most High, we are called to grow, not digress. If we digress, we are responsible. So I am the one to stand condemned. Bad. But thanks be to God through Jesus Christ my Savior, for His blood washes away the past, to rain down new mercies each morn.

Thats not the point. 
The point? The point is this...

Now is for Growing

Second Peter 3:18 states,"Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." I don't know Greek, but if I had to guess - and I am going to - I would guess that the "grow" in that verse is an imperative, one intended with an on-going connotation (Seminarian-ites, what is that called?), meaning that we are expected to continue in this particular task ... that of growing in grace and in knowledge. 

Most authors state that "grace" refers to the whole of religion (in a Christian sense), since all religion is the outworking and result of grace from God. It begins with grace, when God predetermined His affections for the elect before the foundations of the universe were laid, and it ends with grace as God keeps us, perseveres us until the day of Christ or our deaths. Other writers specifically mention the means of grace &/or spiritual gifts. Spurgeon writes to grow in all grace, the "root-grace" he calls faith, in love, in humility, to grow upward closer to God in prayer and in increasing intimacy with Christ as your grow downward (in humility).

Whatever "grace" refers to, we are called to be growing. Not just to grow once, every now & then, or even when we feel like it... but we are called to be growing at all times. Our lives need be marked by daily progress. Thats great. But what the hell does that mean and how do I do that!?!?

The answer.

 GRACE in the person JESUS CHRIST.

But knowledge is required, growth in knowledge to be more specific. Again Spurgeon writes, "To know Him is 'eternal life.'" To be growing in an intimate, communion-like fellowship with Christ is so necessary to a life of victory. To a life of growth.

What then shall we say to this?

OH GOD BE MERCIFUL TO ME!!!
BE MINDFUL THAT I AM BUT DUST, DESPERATELY IN NEED OF YOUR GRACE TO STRENGTHEN ME AS TO LIVE IN SUCH A WAY AS TO GROW IN GRACE & IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF MY LORD & SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!!! RENEW ME DAILY THAT I MAY DISPLAY THE GLORY OF YOUR MIGHT FOR YOUR NAMESAKE! BE GRACIOUS TO ME, AID ME TO WAIT FOR YOU, THAT MY STRENGTH BE RENEWED IN YOU, & IN YOU ALONE!

And what is the promise (founded in the character of God)?

It is this ... 

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, by which He has granted to us His precious & very great promises, so that [we] may become partakers of the divine nature."

2 Peter 1:3-4

Any hope we have. All hope we have is rooted in God, and only in God, in the person Jesus Christ. If we are to grow, if this is to be a year of growth then I must set my face hard toward the gale and push on through thick and thicker in pursuit of God, in the grace and in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, knowing and fully trusting that He will be faithful to grant me all that I need that pertains to life and godliness ... and I am certain He will do this, it is for His on glory and excellence.

If I am anything, all I am is Christ.
Thats where I am

No comments:

Post a Comment