care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

10.26.2010

Trust God

I just had - the other day - what I am going to call a revelation. Maybe thats too big a word, but I don't believe it is. You see, I went and saw my ENT yesterday because on a daily basis I feel like my head is going to explode with internal pressure. Thank you chronic CF sinuses! It turns out that barometric pressure affects sinus pressure in ways that basically create a vaccum in your head (which would be like imploding) or an outward pressure (exploding) ... but the resulting feeling is the same, misery. Thats just a side note.

So, you ask, what's this to do with trusting God? Let me tell you.

I went to my ENT nearly 100% confident he would tell me I needed sinus surgery. He did. Honestly, not that big a deal. I guess when you are a life-long patient as I have been & will be, and have had as many surgeries of various sorts as I have (9), it all becomes routine. So, my reaction, "Ok." And really, its just that, ok another surgery woopty-doo (spelling?).

But as I was driving home I had this revelation. 1) I typically relate trusting God to something that would worry me. (Meaning, that those things that cause me no worries, I just accept them as they are - kind of like surgery) That's when it hit me 2) that God gives us opportunities to trust Him, even when we are not worried or concerned about something ... in this case, like surgery!

Now maybe that sounds elementary, and maybe it is. But it is significant to me, because it opens a whole new avenue for me to enjoy and glorify Him, via trusting Him for the sheer joy of it, for the sheer joy of better communing with my Heavenly Father. Surgery does not in the least worry me, because I know - despite whatever risks may exists with any surgery - God will have His way. So far we are 9 for 9! So because of my history I have been trained to not worry about surgeries, and therefore I typically do not take it to the Father in prayer as I might something that did present me with some degree of worry.

But now, o boy, I get to saturate the up coming surgery in prayer, and all the while enjoy the easy comfort of trusting God for surgery, knowing He will work His works completely!!! This is exciting!

Please note this does not mean I have figured out how to trust God completely in every situation, because as clearly shown, I am just now learning to truly trust Him with the "mundane," much less the things that cause me degrees of anxiety.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, good lesson. Thanks for sharing it. It is a different mindset to trust God with stuff you're not even worried about. Our faith-lives should be all encompassing.

    ReplyDelete