care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

7.12.2010

C-O-N-S-E-C-R-A-T-E-D

I wrote previously of The Cambridge Seven (I believe), they are C.T. Studd, M. Beauchamp, S.P. Smith, A.T. Polhill-Turner, D.E. Hoste, C.H. Polhill-Turner, & W.W. Cassels, who all graduated from Cambridge to become missionaries to China right about 1885. I suggest the book to you. If not, visit a report on the book HERE


In the report, it is written in reference to Smith and Beauchamp, "... the two of them had not yielded their lives to Christ and soon, rowing became more important to Smith than any relationship with God, even a nominal one." Later, in a prayer meeting, it is reported by the work of the Holy Spirit, "Smith confessed his own sin, that he no longer had any joy from his salvation and was hardly a Christian at all. Waldegrave (leading the prayer meeting) showed Smith that making small, token pledges to God were useless and that he had to give himself fully to God, even as God in Christ had wholly given himself for us. Only then can we know the joys and unsearchable riches of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit." Further on, it is reported of Beauchamp, "In early October of 1881, Montague Beauchamp 'yielded all to Christ' and the three friends rejoiced together."


All that, to share some of my own thoughts. After reading this book, I have been struggling to answer the question, "What is a consecrated life?" I ask this question, because in the book it speaks of the Cambridge Seven as "fully consecrating" their lives to God. I believe what I pasted above, where it says "yielded all to Christ" is referring to the same thing. So, I am left with questions, lots of them. They go like this ... How is that person (the person fully consecrated to Christ)? How does he act, live, react, etc...? How is a life consecrated unto the Lord characterized, & how is a life consecrated fully to God?



These are the questions I am on the road to answering. This is important, because this is where I am currently, being called to something different, or something much more grand with Christ, and I think the Lord is using this book and these questions to lead me to a more consecrated life. But, I don't know the answers, and a consecrated life is not for me to grasp or choose ... but that the Lord work in me to that end, for His sake. Man, I want to know the answers to these questions! To live a fully consecrated & unwavering life to & for the Lord, this is my prayer!


So, what is a consecrated life? - By definition it is to "set apart as sacred" or "revered," it is also to be "thoroughly holy." So, its to be set apart as scared unto the Lord & no other, to grow thoroughly holy in Him. Its to be dedicated and devoted only to Him. But what does these words mean ... set apart, sacred, revered, dedicated, & devoted ... what do they mean practically??? I think, it has to do with edifying, sanctifying, hallowing, keeping holy in one's life for God, for His honor, it is to be heavenly-minded!


To be fully consecrated, it has to have practical outworking, evidencing itself in works, but I think it is a natural outworking. I don't know, thats why I have questions.


But, several conclusions:
1) I will only ever be able to be fully consecrated to God by His unending grace in love & in being made like Christ, by the working of the Holy Spirit to the glory of God the Father in Christ Jesus.
2) By diligent, strict, & continual self-discipline 
...of mind, to choose to think high thoughts of God throughout the day, in all activities (Phil4:8-9)
...of my attitudes & motivations, to remember, whether eating or drinking or in whatever I do, to do it all to the glory of the Lord (1 Cor 10:31)! That is to glorify Him in the mundane of my life in my heart, having a right attitude - whether I feel it or not.
3) It is to do all things in the love of God, for the love of God.


This is a high and hard calling, thus my first point - it will all be by the grace of God poured out!


The Cambridge Seven report goes on to write, "When these seven young men yielded their lives to Jesus, they didn't runaway to a cave and become monks. They didn't shut their mouths and become quietly self-righteous. Instead, they continued to struggle and grow in love for Jesus and for others. They made the most of their situations for the sake of telling others about their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, even though their individual positions meant nothing to them because of the joy and meaning they had in Jesus."


I want to be made ready and fully dedicated to continue to struggle & grow in love for Jesus and for others.


So, what is it to be consecrated? .... IDK. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment