care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

1.16.2010

Despues tres dias en Costa Rica ...

So, I have been in country now for just over three days and I have found that there are many differences than what I imagined I would find. Some disappointing, some wonderful!


I have, for instance, found both smooth and crunchy JIF peanut butter! I have found Smuckers sugar free jelly! The coffee is wonderful (no surprise, just a great and frequent delight) ... Coffee seems to be available almost at any given time! I may end up being wired forever! An ice cream chain called Pop's! My access to internet is wonderful. I am not going to lie. I love the internet, I am staying so much more connected with friends and family than I imagined, this helps with the adjustment to a new lifestyle.


Some disappointments ... please don't think I am complaining ,,, just stating things that are a little disappointing in terms of expectations:
- A huge mall, surrounded by fast food (Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc... )
- The degree to which American culture has infiltrated and defiled Tico culture! Boo! On you conquering American culture ... driving consumerism, materialism, etc ... Thats all I will say.
- Our proximity to the city. The base is much closer than I expected, but it is nice that we can walk to a local store, actually run by a Chinese couple, go figure. Yet, at the same time, we are close enough to the mountains to walk to get to the rainforest, we are right at the edge of the cloud forest!


Other things that are just different than America are numerous. For instance, no TP in the toilet ... it goes in the garbage, kind of gross, maybe ... but no big deal at all. All the food (at least almost all of it) is fresh - fresh eggs, fresh vegetables, almost nothing is processed! Its wonderful. Pinto gallo, rice and beans ... AMAZING!!!


And as today is Saturday, I am actually leaving shortly for the higher highlands! A staffer named Copito, and I and one of my EARS school peers, Laura (from England) are going hiking for the day! According to Copito, its is entirely green, no building, just the wild Costa Rican rain forest and mountains! 


You can trust that pictures will be posted at http://gallery.me.com/adamsleeper.


Other things I have found, in relation to my walk with Jesus Christo, is that the Enemy has been attacking in the form of doubts and complaining which leads to discontentment! The doubts have been in the form os doubting why I am here, doubting that how things are working out (somewhat different than what I expected) are right, doubting that this form of ministry is the best, doubting, doubting, and doubting! Yet, the promises of Christ overwhelm Satan and his feeble attempts to trouble my heart and soul ... when the doubts come, Christ answers! When worry strikes, Christ slays! Christ is victor, and I am experiencing HIm in that way. It is very enthralling and exciting! (The picture is my quiet time location!)


As for complaining ... that has come in the most ridiculous of forms. Those just have to be fought with tooth and nail! There is no reason ... things are amazing! No room for complaints, for Christ has provided more than all I need


Anyways, its time now for me to go hiking! Adios amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment