care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

5.24.2009

everyone is searching

I am finally back in Auburn. On my drive home, I was listening to Ben Lee, an artist my little brother introduced me to, an artist I like quite a bit.

He has this song called Surrender. If you are familiar, I am sure you like it. The song is light-hearted in sound, but I feel it has heavier meaning than the music lets on to ... Here are the lyrics:

Well I have felt an angel's kiss,
And I have seen the sweet sunset,
I thought maybe I was this,
I found out that I am that,

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
(on the repeat, a choir joins in, repeating his lead)


All the things I long to touch
And all the tastes that seem so sweet
They don't matter all that much
When I'm falling at your feet

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

Oh yeah! Come on!
No-one puts baby in the corner!
yeah!

Well I can't promise I won't fall
And I can't say I'm never scared
I can't promise much at all
But when you call me I'll be there

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!
Let go! Give in! Give up! Surrender!

There are several lines that catch my ear, other than the chorus, "They don't matter all that much, when I'm falling at your feet" ... and basically the whole last verse.

I don't actually think Ben Lee wrote this as a spiritual song at all. Yet as all men have a longing in their heart for a relationship with their Maker, the God of the Bible, I think this unknown desire is bound to come out .... and maybe, just maybe this is what Ben is doing here.

Possibly he is calling out to the God he doesn't know and is admitting his longing, declaring his own depravity ... maybe? Or maybe not at all.

But, my point stands, all men (& women) are looking for true, eternal satisfaction, and I truly think everyone who does not know God the Father, through salvation by faith in Jesus Christ, is searching, longing, reaching blindly for God the Father, whether they know it or not.

I pray that you know you are searching, if you don't know Jesus as your Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment