care more than some think is wise; risk more than some think is safe;
dream more than some think is practical; expect more than some think is possible

12.10.2008

4 Stitches ...

Earlier today, I was working on building something, and trimming down some piece of the wood which I had previously cut ... like i was whittling, to shave off the last little bit to make my cut perfectly even!

It turned out well, but I had one more swipe left ... and the one time in several hours of working on this today, the knife caught on the wood, then slipped (as it were) from being caught ... then my arm, and hand, and subsequently this awesome new knife I have, all jolted back toward me! the end of the knife was still pointed away from me, but was flung with the tension towards me ... towards my leg in particular ... sure enough, to make life interesting today, I sliced open my leg just above my knee. 

That may sound dramatic, but it really wasn't, more just silly on my part, for pulling an extremely sharp knife toward me! the cut is about 2" long, all the way through the 3/8" of skin there (according to the Doc I spoke with), down to fatty tissue! 

But oh so luckily for me, I am first aid certified and knew exactly what to do ... so I dashed three steps across the room to my first aid/random medicine draw and bandaged away, gathering supplies ... checking the patient ...

breathing? - check

heart beat? - check

EAD (electronic automatic defibulator)? - check (just in case)

gauze? - check

large band-aid? - check

ace bandage for pressure? - check

That was that, and I went back to work - crazy thing is, it was more shocking than actually painful ... go figure, by the way, this all happened about 5 or 6 pm today.

Later, my roommate, another buddy and I went to dinner, came back to my place to hang out a little. I checked my leg, and sure enough, after taking the bandage up to look, the blood was boiling up and out of the wound, as if it were brand new, and not 4 or so hours old!

Sure enough, I have 3 or 4 stitches in my leg just like that ... didn't assume this is how my day would end ... it the little things in life, like slicing your leg open, than make life memorable and exciting!

2 comments:

  1. haha wow! good story. i mean, im sorry about your leg. but i was on the edge of my seat the entire time i was reading. and first aid training does come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes indeed first aid is valuable, until you realize your injury exceeds your skill/knowledge ... and besides the pain of going to the ER (not really the pain of the wound) it was an exciting story ... makes life interesting

    ReplyDelete